Any kid with a cell phone probably uses it to send and receive text messages and images. It's similar to using email or instant messaging and most of the same etiquette and safety rules apply. If your kids are texting, encourage them to:
- respect others. Texting shorthand can lead to misunderstandings. Think about how a text message might be read and understood before sending it.
- ignore text messages from people they don't know.
- learn how to block numbers from their cell phone.
- avoid posting their cell phone number online.
- never provide financial information in response to a text message.